1857 Deed for Cold Springs School site.
Click here to see typed version of the deed (opens as a pdf file).
This is an agreement where the City of Portland got water from the site where the school was located.
The date for this document is April 10, 1926.
This is a 1923 front page of The Portland Herald. Columns 1 and 2 list the teachers for all of the schools in Sumner County. Cold Springs is listed in District 16, in the middle of column 2. Mrs. Wm. Deasy is listed as the teacher.
Evelyn Legge Tucker and Bonnie Legge Briley in front of the steps at the school.
Their family (10 people) lived inside the school in 1937.
|Members of the Highland Rim Historical Society found a note inside the building listing"
"Those whom have lived in Cold Springs School"
Maxine Briley Brown
Earl & Terry Ray-brothers
Lanie Hodges Petty
William "Alfred" Barnardk, Sr. was born May 17, 1897, and he died January 5, 1981. Alfred started Cold Springs School in 1907. He attended Cold Springs until 1915. He is in the 1907 Emma Staggs photo and the 1913 Moore Hobdy photo. In 2012, when a large cabinet was removed from the school, Alfred's name was found carved in the wall.